Monday, January 10, 2011

Computer, computer, come out wherever you arrrre!

Today was exasperating. I want to show my kids parts from "The Grinch" which is the Jim Carrey version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", however, it turns out i'm computer retarded. I used to think that I was well versed in the twisty manner of computers. I spent much of my adolescence busily deleting important files and accidentally crashing the home computer (that actually happened and twice I had to reboot the entire system...whoops!) When you do things as asinine as that eventually ( I would hope) you learn what to do and what not to do. It's basic math, even a mathtard like myself can figure that equation out.

However, when I got to college I realized that I was far too sophisticated for the dreary, downcast, and aging PC so I upgraded to a Mac and have never looked back; until I moved to Korea. Here all the computers are PC's and i'm forced daily to have a relationship with one. My computer and I have a very straining relationship on both of our behalfs, because once again i'm that snot nosed little punk 15 year old trying to figure out daddy's big toy. It's not that I forgot how to use a PC during my two year separation from PC's, quite the contrary, I remember almost everything that I knew and things are just as easy to operate as before...except that my entire operating system is in Korean.

Awesome.

So i'm learning how to operate a PC in Korean almost purely on memory and it's definitely taking it's toll, especially on those days when I forget where things were. Four times this week i've had a visit from schools computer technician, the other day I accidentally pressed something and my computer threatened to terminate the network all the computers are on...Whoopsies! So he came, fixed it, gave me a strict scolding in Korean, and then left. I'm still unsure of what I managed to do to create such tramatic consequences, but needless to say i'm still "walking quietly" when I use my computer.

Anyway everyday that I come to work I find myself mastering yet another program, for instance i've just re-remembered how to make images move about in PowerPoint. What with my new remote clicker system i'll be able to move about the room as images pop up on my computer! woo hoo teacher me! My students will be reduced to sitting, huddled in their seats in perpetual fear that I may call on them, or discover their stash of hidden comics.

Wish me luck!
Anyeong!

OOOH I just found this draft, apparently it didn't post...this was right before Christmas. Enjoy! ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment