Monday, February 14, 2011

Can I have my hand back please?

This is a lovely conversation I had with

"Hello."
A Thai man shakes my hand, then, without returning it he turns it over and begins to trace the lines on my palm. "Two kids. Two children." He says, looking me straight in the eyes. He returns to his tracing. I look to my left, there's a very nice Thai man observing. I ask him, "Is he crazy?" He smiles at me, "No, he good friend of mine." I beam at him. The ma holding my hand begins to speak again, "here, look here." He's gesturing to a spot near my wrist, "four husbands, four men." I giggled, "will I be married to them all at once?" he looks up at me and smiles, "I am one of them." My eyebrows rose and a smile crept across my face, "Is that so? When do we get married?" He beams toothlessly back at me, "today." Then he says, "have you seen Giant Buddha?" "I'll see that later," I responded." "The floating market?" he persists. "Tuesday." I say. "Chaktuchack market? I'll take you there for 10 baht (30 cents)." I cock my head to the right, "Seriously? No stops? Straight there?" He grins and nods in agreement, then grabs hold of me by the shoulders and leads me across the street to his tuktuk. He pulls out a card and says, "see?" Pointing to a group of words at the bottom of the card, "free gas! We stop here first and then we go to the market." I frown at him "no stops!" "10 baht for me, simple stop, let's go!" I smile and shake my head, "10 baht, no stops, straight to the market." I say firmly, he waffles under my incriminating gaze. "You stop for me? Your husband to be?" I smile, pat him on the shoulder and walk away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment