Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Day of Debacles

Yesterday was a disaster, between farts, split pants and stolen teacups it's no wonder I needed a champions belt.

It all began bright and early, Wednesday is Bong gu day (remember the volleyball/soccer hybrid game?!) and all the teachers were asking me whether I was going to be playing or not, I replied, "no, i have to teach a teachers class instead." This led to sad faces and overall distress throughout the ranks of my co-workers. Regardless, I continued to forge on, since Bong gu appeared to be the topic of the day, I decided at lunch to ask the science teacher, who is extremely nice but speaks terrible English, whether he was going to play bang gu today (take extreme note of bang). One of my co-teachers was sitting across the table from me, when I said "bang gu" she snorted so hard soup came out her nose! The science teacher looked at me like I was nuts, then glanced at my co-worker, a slow smile crept up his face, my co-teacher struggled to maintain her composer. I had my "I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on" smile firmly fixed in place, I was looking back and forth from science teacher to co-teacher. Thankfully Sunmi finally managed to regain her composure and explain to me that Bong gu is a game, Bang gu is a fart. I had been walking around all day asking students and co-workers whether they were going to fart this afternoon! Yikes! What a way to make an impression!


After lunch I went into the teachers lounge, snagged one of the cups from the cupboard, filled it with water and proceeded to my desk. Shortly thereafter I heard my name being said, I glanced around and two teachers I don't know very well were looking at me and talking. I had no idea what they wanted so I just smiled, they smiled back, it was oh-so-Korean-polite. About 20 minutes later Eunyeong came up to me and said "We all bring our own cups." I instantly realized that I had stolen somebody's cup at the prime coffee drinking time! Yikes! I blushed and hurriedly drained my water, scurried to the teachers lounge (yes, i've taken up scurrying), washed the cup and returned it to the cupboard. I just can't win today!


FINALLY my day was over, I had taught my first teachers English class and was feeling great, it was a real success! I was thinking about my night: my South African friend Colette was going to come out to Samgye for some Gamjatang and then we were going to go out for Mackeolli with some other english teachers! Gamjatang is a beef spine soup with vegetables and Mackeolli is a rice distilled liquor much like saki, both are absolutely divine. I walked up on some of my students sitting on the floor writing furiously, I asked them what they were doing and they replied "studying teacher!" What great little studiers!! I chatted with them briefly and had already left when I realized I didn't know where to find Gamjatang in Samgye! I ran back and sat down in a cross legged position, asking them "Where can I find Gamjatang?" As my butt plunked onto the floor I heard a RIP! POP! and the crotch in my only pair of slacks burst open to expose my underwear. *Sigh* Why me?? My students looked, I looked, I blushed, they giggled and we all went on our merry way.

Earlier this morning I was in class, my students are conducting interviews which I really like because it gives them a sterling opportunity to actually experiment with their English. I walked up on two boys, one was pounding the others palm with his fist (typical boys eh?) I asked, "Boxer?" The boy responded "No, teachuh! You boxer! Champion belt!" He pointed to the thick, shiny belt I had strapped about my waist. I burst into smile and replied "Yesuh!" He and I both laughed, I turned to leave, and he turned to tell all his friends that i'm a professional boxer. That one moment made up for all the other debacles of the previous day. God I love my job.

Anyeong!

No comments:

Post a Comment