Thursday, September 16, 2010

Elephant Symphonies

Today the school inspectors are here, apparently 3 years ago my school won the best school in the area and today is our day to renew this claim. What this means is that everyone is going absolutely nuts. Yesterday everyone, students included, stayed after school and cleaned for literally 3 hours, I couldn't believe it!! I offered my services multiple time but each time I was rebuked, asked to sit quietly at my desk like the nice little girl that I am, and to not speak too loudly. I obliged, perhaps a bit perplexedly but obliged nonetheless. Today the teachers were asked to arrive at school an hour early, I was informed I should come at the same time as usual. I arrived to school to see banners, home-made signs, and sparkling hallways that had been freshly painted in the night. I attended an opening ceremony where I understood negative amounts of the information being imparted and then was whisked off to class. The funniest part about this whole day is that the students are eerily silent and all the teachers look like Asian clones of one another. On a normal day, during break hours, the students are reminiscent of a cacophany of elephants living above my head, clanging, banging, scraping, screaming, bellering, falling objects, and an inumerable number of pounding feet is the orchestra to which I produce my teacher magic. Today, with the silence, I feel as though I work in a tomb. Can I have my elephant symphony back please?!

Also, I am preparing to go to China for 7 days!!! I leave Saturday morning from Seoul and will return Friday afternoon! Travelling is amazing, and I can never wait to leave, but sometimes being dragged down by menial items like hostels and food irritate me. I mean honestly, why can't I just stay for free and eat for free wherever I go?? Ha, in my own perfect world I suppose that happens! I am meeting a friend of mine from college on Sunday and we are going to explore all over China (again, ha!)! I'm really really excited! We are planning on attending the world fair, the bund, and hopefully Beijing for the Great Wall! No guarantees though, Alex and I are just going to float along and see what happens. I'll keep you updated as we go!

Anyeong!

No comments:

Post a Comment