Friday, September 17, 2010

The Most Important Lesson My Mother Ever Taught Me

Sharing is the first and most important lesson I have ever learned in my life.

For the last two months I have noticed that my Korean co-workers bring food in every once in a while and they always share with everyone. So I thought since 추섴 (chuseok) is upon me and 추섴 is considered Korean Thanksgiving, that I would bring something to work as a thank you, this is me, have some American food, whatever you want to think gift. So last night I braved the local Lotte Mart, which is like a City Market or a Smith's, and located Feta Cheese (oh feta how I have missed your salty embrace in my mouth). I found garlic, onions, and tomatoes at the local vendors on the streets, and a nice crusty bagguette from the Paris Bagguette Cafe. I spent the night bathing in the smells of home- garlic simmering, onions sputtering, the smell of knives slicing into ripe tomatoes. Oh home how i've missed you. I put it all together in a tupperware and brought it to school today. After second period I whipped it out and placed it in a central location. Immediately all the teachers were buzzing around me, asking me what it was, how it's made, what's the name. Each teacher in turn spooning tomatoes and cheese onto crusty bread and popping the bite-sized morsels in their mouth. Their eyes lighting up in wonder as they tasted the sharp bite of cheese coupled with crusty deliciousness and tangy tomato. I couldn't stop smiling, they were all asking me in rapid Korean how to cook this new delicacy, I felt as though I had given them the greatest gift by being able to share one of my favorite foods with them. yay me!

On a side note, I also learned how to make refried beans last night, and then I proceeded to eat the entire tupperware full by myself in one sitting. WIN!

Anyeong!

No comments:

Post a Comment