Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sweet Potatoe Pie

Sweet potatoes permeate almost every sweet food I eat in Korea.

Why???

I don't really understand it, but i'm attributing this fact to a basic premise (that I hear EVERYDAY) and that premise is that Koreans like to eat healthy foods, workout, and protect the environment. Weird right? Well it's the truth. Today for lunch, there was a delicious looking apple turnover steaming on the tray in front of me, oh I could taste the sugary sweet, flaky, buttery, mouth watering, tart taste of apples already. As is customary in Korea land, we eat our food first, so I slogged through 참치 비빔밥(chamchi bibimbop, tuna and rice stirfry) and fish bologne soup before I got to the main dish: apple streudel turnover pie. I picked the pie up in my hands, fingers shaking slightly, mouth already salivating ferociously, eyes locked on the pie. I took a big bite, crust infiltrated my mouth, butter washed over my tastebuds, but there was no tangy apple aftertaste. Instead, I was left with an almost creamy, but not quite, smooth starchy taste. Sweet Potatoe. I grimaced, this was good, but it was by no means apple streudel pie. I sighed deeply, reorganized my thinking, and bit in again, this time was much better. The pie crust melds ever so effectively with the potatoe, adding a mild sweet to an already buttery flake. If I wasn't expecting apple I would have said a perfect combination.

This similar thing happened to me last night as well, after Korean classes (which I slogged through a month of ordeals to get to) Emily, Brittoni, Angie, Joanna and I (all new korean class friends!!!) all wandered over to the Love Cup for a cupcake. I ordered what appeared to be a vanilla cupcake with cream cheese frosting, took a big ol' bite, and discovered sweet potatoe. *sigh* What IS it with the sweet potatoe?! Ah well, here's to adventures in food, Ganbei! (Cheers!)

Anyeong!

No comments:

Post a Comment