Thursday, July 29, 2010

Extreme Badminton

Today I played extreme Badminton. Yes, it exists, but only in Korea. You see, Koreans aren't really THAT extreme when it comes to sports; they don't win the Olympics nor do they do well at the World Cup, in fact the only time you hear about Koreans is in relation to the maths or sciences. So you can imagine my surprise when I was asked if I wanted to play Badminton with some of the teachers from my school. OF COURSE I WANT TO PLAY BADMINTON!! So I arrived at the school to be greeted with the biggest shock of my life, this wasn't just sip your tea and eat kimchi while gossiping badminton, oh no, this was extreme-knock-your-teeth-out Badminton. I was given a brief introduction to hitting and the stance and then thrown into the game. WELL, after being thoroughly slammed 3 or 4 times by the birdie (i'm going to have a bruise on my cheeck tomorrow....) I politely thanked them for inviting me and limped home to nurse my wounds. It appears I have to stop judging things by the stereotypes they are given!!

Another interesting thing I learned today is that I live in a GREEN FOOD ZONE, now i'm not exactly sure what this means as the rest of the sign was in Korean but this has to be a good thing...right??

Finally, I tried to go to a Korean lesson today in a different city and since I have no transportation I presumed I could rely on the good ol' fashioned bus. WRONG! The bus I wanted didn't come for 45 minutes (by which time I was already late) and then when it did come IT DIDN'T STOP!!!! I couldn't believe it!! So in order to fix this situation (the one where I sit at the bus stop like an idiot and hope the bus i've been told will take me where I want to go actually shows up and stops) I have doubled my efforts at learning Korean. I purchased a children's book and I intend to translate everything and to make AWESOME posters/flashcards for myself. GO team Molly!

Anyong!

No comments:

Post a Comment