Sunday, August 15, 2010

An Almost Runners Running Perspective

I've decided i'm giving myself a birthday gift: a half marathon. As I haven't ever run a half marathon, not even 10 miles really, this may seem like a funny gift for me, especially to myself as I don't perceive myself as a runner, nor do I think I really like it. Running is Dakota's gig, his passion, life focus, and he's really, really, really (and I mean REALLY) good at it. I'm better at people things, do you want to practice small talk? I like small talk. What about people reading? I like to think i'm good at reading people, when they are comfortable, uncomfortable, who they like and dislike, that sort of thing. I think i'm fiery and fun to be around, dedicated but only when I have to be. So solo half-marathoning is a little bit...erm...extreme. I mean there's dedication involved in running a half marathon! I have to go out and, like, actually...run. Several times...a week. Ew? Despite all these perfectly good justifications for NOT running, i'm finding that I actually enjoy it. Now, i'm not claiming to be the Prima Donna of running, oh no, I don't think i'd ever want to be that, i'll leave all that glamour and motivation to the familial professional; but i'll be damned if there isn't something romantic about running up a single lane road, whispering stalks of rice telling me sweet nothings in the heady summer breezes. The misty tentacles of the clouds trailing their fingers lovingly through the trees that crowd the mountain hillsides. No cars in sight, only the rhythmic pounding of shoes and the harsh gasp and release of my breath. It's moments like these that I realize why I love to travel, I can't help it (god knows I certainly don't have the extra lung capacity) but I burst into chuckling laughter, face seizing in a grin of joy, the feeling of absolute correctness ripping through my body, engaging endorphines, filling every inch of me with a tingling sensation of love and appreciation for the beauty around me. As well as a congratulatory "Atta Girl" to myself for following my dreams and passions so veraciously. It's moments like these that I remember precisely, perfectly who I am, what I stand for, and why i'm here. Yay Me!

Anyeong!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is an awesome goal!! You and I both know how I feel about running... so I am sending you all the "go get em..." I've got!!! Plus it doesn't hurt to be running though the beautiful country side of Korea...

    Love ya
    Jac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jacq! You are so sweet! I'm pretty stoked, the countryside is beautiful, the running is painful. Ah well. Here's to Running and here's to Dallas next year!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete