Friday, August 20, 2010

Little Mexico Korean Style

I HAD MEXICAN FOOD!! Woo! The delicious flavor of cilantro and lime melding perfectly with pulled pork and corn tortilla created an explosion of flavorful blasts in my mouth. I hadn't realized how much I missed mexican food until last night.

An english teacher friend of mine called me up at 8pm last night and informed me he was 20 minutes from my home and that I better be ready because we were going out for Mexican food.

I've never put pants on faster in my entire life.

He arrived and we began the extremely comical process of attempting to navigate the streets of Masan. Since I don't own a car I only know the bus routes to get about town, and those bus routes are not the most expedient ways of navigating the city. The busses wind in and out of neighborhoods at their own reckless leisure stopping oft and waiting less. So when Jason informed me that I needed to navigate him to a certain spot in Masan...I froze. I looked at him with panicked eyes and said "I only know how to get around via bus." He laughed at me and said "I'm sure you'll do fine." So of we went! After winding in and out of the streets we finally found the place he was looking for, parked, and got out. "Well done Jones" he proclaimed as we stood in front of old downtown, the blinking neon lights iluminating our faces. We waltzed down the street, me reading the street signs, him correcting and quizzing my Korean; we turned down a small side street and BAM! We were smack dab in the middle of little mexico, korean style. We entered the restaurant to Mexican waltzes and the smell of cilantro and lime. I was in food heaven. We ordered- 2 corn rolled, pulled  pork, cilantro and lime tacos, with a side of beans (my co-workers are regretting those beans today!) for me, 6 corn rolled, pulled pork, cilantro and lime tacos for him. One margarita for me and sweet rice milk for him. We were in Mexican food business! When the food arrived we both tucked in, quietly and seriously as all mexican food deserves. After the food was gone we both took a deep breath, I think we had forgotten to breathe while we inhaled food. I sipped on my margarita and discovered it was the single worst margarita i've ever had, it was essentially water, tequila, and salt. ew. So we let that one sit and ventured out into the street for more Korean lessons and ice cream. Simply fabulous.

This morning as I was walking to school I realized how much I missed my little poo-throwing monkeys! They look so grown up in their perfectly pressed dress pants and skirts, their ties and button ups perfectly askew, perfect little business people. It's fun to see them, to know some of them better after summer camp and to see how excited they still get at the sight of me (insert behemoth, blonde, american, foreigner). I can't wait to see how this day goes!!

Anyeong!

No comments:

Post a Comment