Monday, October 11, 2010

A few Inspirational Conversations I Had Today. Or I Overheard. Or Possibly Made Up. hmm....

"I will kill you if you call me baby" 
One of the first things I learned in Korean was the phrase "I will kill you" (내가 당신을 죽일거야) don't ask why this was one of the first phrases I learned, I don't remember why and it honestly doesn't matter as I don't use it. I mean, why would I? Anyway, during one of my *ahem* less attentive classes my co-teacher was attempting to corral the boys into paying attention, one of them responded "yes baby!" This sweet, sweet, willowy, korean women looked him straight in the eye and said "I will kill you if you call me baby." (in Korean of course) His eyes literally crossed in agitation and he visibly moved back into his seat. I on the other hand burst into laughter, great gusto gasps of breath. WAY TO GO Hyejeong! I had to sit down and laugh for almost a full 30 seconds before I could pull myself together and finish my lesson.

"You are fashionista!"
Now, I admit that I enjoy fashion and I try to look decent but let's be honest, I'm a good 'ol girl from rural Utah who likes her t's, blue jeans, and flip flops. So imagine my surprise when one of my more fashion conscious students (actually, insert all the girls in the entire school into this category) sashayed up to me in the halls today and proudly declared, "You are a fashionista!" I looked to my right, then my left, then did a complete circle in the middle of the hall, "me?" she nodded happily and walked away. I was left standing in her wake completely perplexed, the thought that Molly doesn't comb her hair or shower unless absolutely necessary Jones as a fashionista was absurd! Surely this small child was blinded by the shininess of my hair? Apparently not as she didn't come running back screaming "joke teacher! Joke!" huh, go me!

"We find it rude to congratulate on your birthday so we will lunch you on Wednesday"
Hmm...I cocked my right eyebrow to my hairline and dragged my left eyebrow to my iris, "What could this possibly mean?" I pondered. Eunyeong looked at me expectantly. I looked back. My eyebrows slowly drew even with each other and rested about mid-forehead, my eyes widened. Surely there was some genius response I was supposed to be giving at this point...if only I knew what that statement meant... I finally decided to smile, she smiled back and turned away happily, I turned away baffled. Upon second look at this statement it is clear to me that the dinner (that was supposed to be last Thursday but that was postponed until my birthday) was apparently being cancelled all together and being replaced with a lunch on Wednesday. Splendid arrangement if you ask me!

Side note, i'm rather disappointed that my original one-person dinner invite morphed english teacher wide dinner morphed birthday celebration has been canceled. At first I was a little aghast that I was expected to host a dinner for more than one person, then I was astounded that I was expected to host this dinner on MY birthday. MY day. MY MY MY! But after speaking with Emily teacher I realized the wisdom in something she said: "Perhaps it's ridiculous of us to be expecting presents on our birthdays, perhaps we should always host people on our birthday and give them things." Like lavishing praise on them for putting up with the waygookeen (foreigner) as she attempts to come to terms with her new culture, school, lifestyle. Or like never openly criticizing my uneducated teaching methods but by gradually suggesting and helping to shape my classes so they fit well with the mold. Or like inviting me into their homes and their families. Or like always paying for the bill when we go out for dinner. Or like always having a smile ready for when we don't understand each other (insert cup theif here). Ya, maybe I should be thankful for that instead of celebrating MY birthday MY way.

Anyeong!

No comments:

Post a Comment