Friday, October 29, 2010

I'm Korean!

Today is the Friday before Halloween, so like every other country loving American I dressed up for work. Now you have to understand that once you venture outside the expansive borders of good ol' 'Murica things are a wee bit different. the most important and glaringly obviously example is that there are different holidays, take Chuseok for example, we've never even heard of it yet it's massively celebrated by millions of Koreans yearly. They eat rice cakes flavored with pine needles and sweetened bean paste(*barf*), they eat dok bocci, which is red sauce smothered rice cakes and chicken (*barf*); and yet they don't celebrate Halloween. Now, I understand that some of you may be jumping out of your chairs, onto your desks or couches, ripping your hair out, and screaming obsceneties at the heathen Koreans, believe me, it was my reaction too. But once I calmed down and stopped seeing red I realized that this was a prime opportunity for me to become (if possible) even more famous. First, since they don't celebrate Halloween even the smallest change in my wardrobe will be noticed, and second, since i'm the foreigner and it's my "culture" they will smile and accept everything that I do! GENIUS! So like any good American I donned my black wig and glitter sparkle face mask and marched myself to school. Now I didn't really do anything obscene, in fact i'd say that I look exactly the same...except I have black hair. But as I got closer to school I noticed that my students were staring and pointing whispering "mori" which means hair, repeatedly. When I arrived in the teachers room I walked straight to my desk, "Anyeong hah say yo" (good morning) they all briefly glanced up "anyeong..." their eyes bulged, their mouths dropped open, and they all literally stopped speaking. The entire room full of 60 teachers went dead silent, then "Mori!" They all began speaking quickly at once asking me about my hair and talking to one another about the drastic change. I smiled, blushed and put my blue peacock mask over my face and said "Happy Halloween!" they all started clapping! I am forever cemented in the annals of time now as a famous person. I mean, if you can get a roomful of people to clap for you just by showing up that must mean you've got the magic!

Anyeong and Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment