Friday, November 26, 2010

My Very Own Dance Space

When I ride the bus I sometimes like to put my headphones on and rock out. This is sometimes necessary if i'm feeling particularly testy or i've had a bad day. The busses in Korea aren't that bad, in fact I have a pretty solid relationship established with them: they get me where I want to go and I pay for them to run. Solid eh? Anyway, the busses can sometimes be a massive pain in my arse, for instance if they are busy I end up swaying in the aisle, crushed between pairs of sweating prepubescents, leaned on by a slight, gnarled old adjumama, and/or disgustedly slammed up against a hacking business man sweating in a suit with his sparkly tie askew.

Needless to say when stuck in traffic amidst the masses of koreans I sometimes feel the need to disappear into a place where i'm ok, where it's warm, there's a beach, maybe a cocktail, and lovely pounding dance music. I recently discovered an artist called "Milkman", he is a mashup artist, which means (this is for those people like my father who will be perplexed by the term "mashup" :p) that the artist takes several songs from different people, creates a general beat and then "mashes" all the songs together into one song. It's pretty ingenius. Needless to say it adequately quenches my need for escape when a bouquet of body aroma and a symphony of hacking coughs consume my entire existence.

The only potential downfall to this escape is that I almost always choose something with a driving dance beat and this causes me to first bob my head ever so slightly, then my foot starts to tap, and then as the bus trundles along and i'm left swaying from side to side, my arms slowly begin moving about in a dance manner, and the next thing I know i'm veritably rockin' out to my own music on the bus. This causes the Koreans around me to slowly begin filtering out of my way (wouldn't you if there was the potential danger of a flying elbow in your way??). Which is nice for me because now i no longer have an adjumama's cart squashing my toes, but it's not so nice when I realize that I look like a lunatic. Whatever. I'll create my own dance space wherever I want. There's nothing wrong with rocking out...I hope...

Anyeong!

No comments:

Post a Comment