Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mystery Field Trip

"Molly, tomorrow you need go on a field trip. Go to Stadium by Home Plusuh, main front gate, and wear big shoes. Oh, and man with red flag will help you."

THAT'S what I was told about my adventure today. So like the good little teacher that I am I showed up at the main front gate at 8:30 this morning with big shoes aka tennis shoes and looked for the man with red flag. I stood there in the cold glaring up at the sun and the stadium wishing ill thoughts on everyone who thought this little "field trip" was something I should do. I finally ran into some other native teachers I know and we began walking around the stadium searching in vain for "man with red flag." We finally happened upon this man, he was a short, thin, korean man, with a red flag! He beamed at us, raised the flag and then tweeted on a whistle sharply and pointed us in the direction we were going and beamed at us. I couldn't help but smile back at this absurdly pleased Korean, whistling, red flagged man.

After we boarded the bus we were informed that today we would be making pottery and going to a temple. Oh boy! Once at the pottery station I managed to make a...erm...bowl? MERRY CHRISTMAS MOMMA! You can expect an extremely misshapen bowl in either a pine or acorn color to arrive on your doorstep just in time for Christmas, granted it's inner inefficiencies don't explode in the kiln. This you can then add to the collection of misshapen pottery you've received for being the sole recipient of my misguided attempts at pottery.

After the pottery experience we had a "Natural foods diet" lunch, which means we ate a lot a vegetation.  I had acorn jello for first time! It's black, and has seaweed flakes on top, it tastes like nothing but seaweed and has the consistency of slightly more hardened jello. Ew. I won't be repeating that experience again unless it's been deemed of the utmost of an insult to not eat it (which could conceivably be everyday until Jan). After the acorn jelly we went to a temple where Nerina (a South African friend of mine who's totally bad ass in all senses of the word) and I walked along a beautiful river pathway and discussed life while the river rushed by at our feet, needless to say it was a divine end to the day!

Anyeong!

No comments:

Post a Comment