Monday, November 15, 2010

We Wish You a Merry Curisumas.

I'm looking into planning my winter intenisve English camp and I wanted to teach my kids christmas carols! So I thougth "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" would be a fabulous choice and I want my kids to understand what they are reading so I got onto Naver (like Google except in Korean for Koreans) and typed in "We Wish Your a Merry Christmas."  Well some korean lyrics appeared under the lyrics just like I wanted so I copied and pasted the whole set into a word document. Well during a break I asked Eunyeong if she would look over my lyrics to make sure that they were correct (note that I hadn't read through the lyrics myself) she leaned over and burst out laughing. I looked at her perplexedly then quickly glanced back at my computer screen. I began reading:

We wish you a merry christmas
(위  위슈어 메리 크리스마스)
We wish you a merry christmas
(위  위슈어 메리 크리스마스)
We wish you a merry christmas
(위  위슈어 메리 크리스마스)
And a happy new year
(앤 어 해피 뉴이열)

 Sure enough i'm an idiot.  While the letters below the English are definitely Korean they are also a DIRECT saying of the English word. For example, 위- we 위슈어- weeshyouuh 메리- mary 크리스마스- koorisuhmasoo... 앤- an 어-oh 해피-hapi 뉴- nyew 이열-eyewl.

So much for being competent at navigating the internets.

Anyeong!

No comments:

Post a Comment